This dementia care workshop continues the series, What the Hell are You Talking About?, where we teach you new ways and ideas to help you communicate and connect better with people who have Alzheimer’s disease and other kinds of dementia.
In this workshop, You. And Me, Myself, and I, Susan Macaulay of My Alzheimer’s Story shares communication strategies to help you better understand what is being said so that you can affirm and support while creating a more positive flow with your care partner.
Using real-life examples, Susan teaches us how to:
- Recognize projection and use it to get information
- Understand and work with nonstop talk
- Affirm and support
Please watch the replay by clicking below:
Or listen on the go:
Download the audio file by right clicking directly on the play button below and selecting “Save audio as.”
As discussed in the workshop, to help you continue your educational process, here are the materials we mentioned:
- 20 Questions to ask when a loved one doesn’t recognize you anymore – article with handout to download, print, and reference when needed
- 10 Tips to Help You Communicate and Connect – article with handout to download
- Use BANGS to reduce anger and agitation – article discussing the points from our previous training
- Dementia Beyond Drugs – book recommendation
If you wish to be notified about upcoming events, you can register here: Subscribe to Upcoming Empowerment Event Notifications.
Questions or thoughts? Let me know by commenting below: