There can be a lot of mystery in dementia care, but there are ways to shed light on things if we learn to look beyond, behind, and beside to find clues.
In this dementia care workshop, How to be a Better Dementia Detective, dementia-care coach Susan Macaulay teaches us how to find clues to unlock the mysteries of dementia care.
You will learn how to:
- Find clues you’ve missed in the past
- Solve mysteries of “strange” behaviors
- Build a better care environment
Please watch the replay by clicking below:
Or listen on the go:
Download the audio file by clicking the down arrow below:
As discussed in the workshop, to help you continue your educational process, here are the resources we mentioned:
- 10 Dementia Detective Basics – Susan’s “cheat sheet” to help you find clues to better understand what is really happening
- 29 Normal Behaviors You Would be Sedated for – first in a series of vignettes by Susan
- Nursing Home Behavior Problem Scale – antiquated system still being used today to evaluate behavior
- An Analytic Approach to Behavioral Intervention – a pdf to help us move away from antipsychotics by seeing negative behaviors as communications rather than symptoms
- Dementia Beyond Drugs – book recommendation
We also had a 30 minute follow up conversation as part of the Together in This Dementia Conversations series.
If you wish to be notified about upcoming events, you can register here:
Questions or thoughts? Let me know by commenting below: